Cue the drumroll…it’s that time of year again. Yes. Fashion Week is back.
What I love most about Paris fashion week, is the killer style moments and inspiration that catch my eye, walking from metro to meeting. Just thinking about it, makes me want to do a bee-line to Le Bon Marché, rendez vous with my stylist who will mix runway pieces from Margiela, Céline, and Chloé for me. Grab those to die for heels at Francesco Russo (essential for front row viewing ) and over to Christophe Robin for a complete hair redo. Then, I’m just about ready for lights, camera, action.
Truth be told, my fashion week is a rather less glamorous affair. A typical week looks like this: an early client meeting in the 10th, make my way across the city to attend a show in the 1st. Jump on the metro to interview and shoot a TP feature in Le Marais. Try and make my pilates class and turn up looking half decent for dinner with friends. And somewhere in the middle, find time to edit and post to the blog.
During a week like this, my sartorial challenges can be narrowed down to simple question of everyday style and practicality: how to keep fuelled, move around swiftly and look presentable? Although, I dream of designer outfits and to wear killer heels to shows and meetings, more than ever my focus is on great quality basics that can stand the test of Paris fashion week and beyond. Those indispensable style heros that tune into my lifestyle. So as I started to prepare for fashion week at the weekend, I thought I would share with you some of my top drawer essentials for surviving the week ahead, aka my Paris fashion week survival kit….
1. A great pair of shoes. I bought a pair of black Prada leather trainers a couple of years ago. They have been one of my best buys and they still look great despite the wear and tear of daily urban pursuits. I am thinking of an upgrade to the basket version for shooting days. I switch to a black stiletto for afterdark.
2. Great jeans that fit well. My search for my perfect pair ended this year with a high waste blue denim jean by 3 X 1. Perfect fit and comfort factor.
3. A great coat, is like a great armour. Invest well. This week I will reach for a black Balenciaga.
4. Tops from Cos. I interchange between black and white silk tops.
5. Nubio juices, if you haven’t tried them. You should. The fuel that keeps me healthy, my skin glowing and perfect for on the go.
6. A camera. Is my indispensable tool. Be it my Cannon, or my iPhone.
7. A notebook for anything noteworthy.
8. My makeup and beauty essentials would take another post. But I always have a Mac or Shu Uemura lipstick in my bag, and a small pot of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream…and a final touch of Chanel blush.
9. Dreaming of Nina Ricci’s bucket bag to hold everything together.